SubmitExpress

Ademola Ayokanmi's Blog

Nicki Minaj and Meek Mill's First Photo Shoot Together: We're the Same 'As Any Other Couple in the Hood'

As for Meek's favorite thing about Nicki? "That you was a hustler," Meek says. "That you were doing your thing. A lot of people coming up. People don't really have a girlfriends that's doing more than them or the same thing. I like girls that hustle. She a boss. She's pretty as f--k. Bad as s--t. Ambitious. What else do you want?" On the day of Nicki and Meek's GQ shoot, Drake had just dropped his first of two diss tracks about Meek, after Meek had accused Drake of using a ghostwriter. During the interview, Meek admits that Nicki was none too thrilled about the feud. 
Meek Mill and Nicki Minaj, looking casual (Ellen von Unwerth for GQ)
Meek Mill and Nicki Minaj
Nicki: And that's the thing people don't understand. Meek is a grown ass man. I may not agree with everything he says.

Meek: She likes none of that s--t. No matter who I'm talking to.
Nicki says she started to get serious about Meek around the time he went to jail in July 2014.
"I remember sitting on my balcony at my house and just being on the phone with him until it started getting dark outside," she says. "And I was just like yo, I'm in trouble. I just knew that first day, it was that long conversation. I was like uh-oh." And in case you thought being the highest selling female rapper would exempt you from your mom trying to meddle in your love life? News flash: it won't.

"The only person [who had concerns about the relationship] was my mother," Nicki says. "My mother only knows Meek from what she sees in public, in the media. She met him now, but she just wants to make sure he's a nice guy. She's overprotective of her daughter. ... Everybody was just scared. Those women were scared for me because when I love someone I really let them in, and I really let me guard down, and I think it's only natural for a mother to just you know, she just wanted to make sure I wasn't rushing into anything."

Nicki also discussed her recent dust-up with Taylor Swift, over the lack of diversity at the VMAs. "I'm very happy I tweeted about the VMAs, because 'Anaconda' had too much of a cultural impact to not be up [for Video of the Year]," Nicki says. "When these pop girls have a moment like that, they get nominated for every award, and they win it. 

And I was happy that people spoke out for me. People used their voices in the media to say this is true, and even Taylor Swift said, I didn't even realize there was a bigger picture, I missed it. We talked. We got over it. She called me and spoke about it, and I told her, I would never come at you." Nicki Minaj is good with Meek. She's good with Drake. She's good with Taylor. Nicki Minaj is good with everyone. But Miley Cyrus.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Read Posts